Lucky me, I have German ancestors on both my maternal and paternal lines! I am currently researching the names SICK and SELL in Schleswig-Holstein, SCHNEIDER in Hessen and KUNDERS (Conard) in North Rhineland - Westphalia. I enjoy doing German research and trying to remember some of the high school German language that I took oh so long ago.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

You Say Kunders, I Say Conard (and Cunraeds and Cunnard and Conrad!)

Yes, these are all versions of the same name in my Grandma Savage's (Marion Rowe Beagles) line.  The Kunders family came from Krefeld, North Rhineland-Westphalia, Germany.


Krefeld is located in between Duisburg and Düsseldorf on the map above - about a 30 minute drive to the northwest of Düsseldorf.

The Kunders were some of the original settlers in Germantown, Pennsylvania.  A book I found at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City called, "The Strassburger Genealogy" (FHL #896630) says the following:

"On June 11, 1683, Penn [William Penn] conveyed to Govert Remke, Lenart Arets, and Jacob Van Bebber, all of Crefeld, one thousand acres of land each, and they together with Telner, Streypers and Sipman constituted the original Crefeld purchasers.  Their purpose was colonization, and not speculation...Before long thirteen families, comprising thirty-three persons, nearly all of whom were relatives, made preparations to depart for the new world.  They were Lenart Arets, Abraham Op den Graeff, Dirck Op den Graeff, Herman Op den Graeff, William Streypers, Thones Kunders [emphasis added], Renier Tyson, Jan Siemens, Jan Lensen, Peter Keurlis, Johannes Bleikers, Jan Lucken, and Abraham Tunes."

So as not to overwhelm you all with the details (I do have some!) here is a very brief outline on my Kunders connection - 

Thones Kunders m. Elin Tyson
Cunraed Cunraeds m. Anne Klinken
Anthony Cunred m. Sarah Hatfield
John Conard m. Elizabeth Potts
Nathan Conard m. Hannah Butcher
Anna Conard m. Enoch George Selby
Cynthia Anne Selby m. David Marion Price
Mary Elizabeth "Bessie" Price m. Noah David Beagles
Marion Rowe Beagles m. Nephi Waldo Savage
David Savage m. Suzanne 
Cindy Savage (me) m. Martyn Harris

Those of you who follow my other blog will recognize that Savage surname!  I wasn't sure whether to include the Kunders line in that blog or this one, so I decided to go with the geographical connection to Germany.

Whew!  Another post completed.



1 comment:

  1. Hello Cindy, John Conard is my fifth great grandfather. I grew up in Washington State. Visit my genealogy blog sometime! We work on the same lines.
    http://wildrhodes.blogspot.com/
    I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete